Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Matthew's First Day of School

He was not too happy about being woken up  considering he's never, ever woken up in the morning and usually rolls out of bed around 8 to 8:30.


Still not quite awake


Breakfast time!


Alaina finished her bowl of cereal, then proceeded to finish off the rest of Matthew's :)


Excited & ready to go!


I treated him to lunch at Charlotte's as a reward. He was thrilled!


The necklace he made me :)
 He did really well when we arrived at the school. He hung up his bookbag, found his name then washed his hands.  I brought him over to the play area where he found a toy plane.  He then curled up in my lap, but didn't cry.  One of the teachers stood by us as I gave him some encouraging and one last kiss.  The teacher took him and I left.  According to his teachers he did ok for a few minutes then started crying :(  They worked with him and he stopped  crying and had a good time.  He did lots of puzzles, built a house with blocks, painted a picture, listened at storytime, made a cereal necklace and had cupcakes for snack.  They said around 11am he started asking when I was coming back.  I was there to get him at 11:30 and he literally RAN into my arms saying "mommy, mommy you came back!!!" Poor little dude...he's never been left that long with strangers so I guess he wasn't sure I was really coming back.  We went to Charlottes's for lunch which he loved then came home to unpack his bookbag.  He showed me his cereal necklace and told me about his painting that he'll bring home Thursday once it dries.  Ever since he left he's gushed about how fun it was and says he's excited to go back.  He keeps telling me he's a big boy now that he goes to school :)  I've told him several times that I will always come back to get him, so I think that fear is gone.  He did really, really well considering he's never left my side for almost 4 years.  He likes his teachers and had a really good time.  He's excited to go back on Thursday and I think each day will get easier and better.  I'm so proud of my Matthew for being such a brave, big boy!!!  :)

3 comments:

Andrea AKA Mina's Mama said...

Yay! I'm so glad he had fun. He looks so cute with a sleepy face. So the real question is, did you cry?

grandjan said...

jamie, thanks for the pics and the commentary, matthew looks so darling and so big and happpppy! its awesome to see him grow into this new time. he did really well and im so happy for him!

Nana said...

Today was a huge transition for Matthew-and mommy! Glad you both did great! You prepared him well for this day, and your family appreciates how you told his story.I always told my little ones three things--they will be fine-mommy loves you--and I will be back to get them! So proud of Matthew! : )